It’s the third week of our half marathon training and it’s a big one! First week into double figures and hopefully an interesting little route. We will have maps available on Saturday if you can’t read this one. All welcome and remember Leaders there to support you all the way.
If the extra running is starting to make you feel tired then you might need to look at your fuel.
- Before the run eat well, ideally you want slow release carbs. Something with oats is my favourite such as porridge or muesli but toast also works well especially wholemeal. You will feel tired if you just get up and try to run 10 miles on empty!
- During the run you may find you need something to give your energy a boost after around 90 minutes. Try experimenting on your training runs so you are all set for the day. You may find a few sips of energy drink or a handful of jelly beans / raisins is just enough. If not you might want to try the sports gels.
- After the run try to eat or drink some protein within one hour to aid your muscle repair. This is the food that stops you getting really tired and grouchy later. If you can’t eat try a milky drink or drink with another source of protein.
1. Leave Wyndley onto Clifton Road and turn left. At the traffic island turn left and run into Sutton Park at Town Gate.
2. Turn right at the totem pole past the pub through the gate then turn right. Follow the road up to Hartopp Gate 1 mile.
3. Go out the park at Hartopp Gate and turn left onto Hartopp road. Run up the hill to the end Four Oaks Road 2 miles.
4. Turn left then left again and back into Sutton Park at Four Oaks Gate. Follow the road downhill. Ignore right turn to Boathouse but take second right (3 miles plus) past Bistro car park then follow the road back to pub and totem pole 4 miles.
5. Turn right run uphill past Visitor Centre and through gate. Take first right past Donkey Sanctuary and follow road up to Jamboree Memorial 5 miles. Carry straight on as far as the long car park on the right then turn around and run back 6 miles.
6. At the Jamboree Memorial turn right onto the Cinder Path. This is our only ‘off road’ part of training but it is still a good surface except for steep sandy bank. Please take extreme care running down that steep hill. Follow Cinder path all the way to the gate at the end and exit the park. Over 7 miles done.
7. Turn left and run down Chester Road to the traffic lights here turn left and re enter the park at Banners Gate 8 miles.
8. Follow the road ahead for one mile until you reach a cross roads by a car park 9 miles. Turn right downhill and take the first left. Keep on this road all the way back to Wyndley 10 miles.