Book Your Place
The Walkers Outing Wednesday 14th June
(Please note there will be no normal groups on this date)
- 9.30 Coach from Wyndley
- 10.00 Arrive Branston Water Park
- 3 different levels of walk available (see separate sheet)
- 12.00 to 13.00 convene at Café or Bridge Inn after walk.
- Back on coach to transfer to Barton Marina.
- 2.30 Lunch booked at The Waterfront, Barton Marina
- 4.30 approx return to Wyndley
Cost – Guide
£5 deposit for meal and between £6 and £8 for the coach depending on numbers. Payable by 31st May.
Balance for meal and any drinks payable on the day. Prices range from £10 to £18 for a main meal. Check out sample menu at: http://waterfrontbarton.co.uk/food-drink/menus/
Sounds great, how do I book on?
Add your name to the list or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline Wednesday 24th May. First come, first served. To help plan leaders please indicate your preferred walk.
Walk 1 – Branston Water Park
Branston Water Park is home to many species of plants and animals, both common and nationally rare. The site is a Local Natural Reserve and has received the prestigious Green Flag award again this year.
Our easiest walk option will be along the level path that runs around the entire site. The path has a good surface and is mainly level. There are toilets, a café and plenty of picnic tables and benches on site. Just a few hundred yards on the right down the canal path is the Bridge Inn for post walk refreshments!
Walk 2 – Monks and Moorings
Our second option is a 6.5 mile walk that enjoys some wonderful views and passes through both ancient and new woodlands planted as part of the National Forest. The walk is on cross-country trails which are quite steep on occasion and may be muddy. The walk finishes with an easy section along the canal conveniently passing the Bridge Inn.
- Some parts may be very muddy so proper boots recommended (poles if you use them)
- There are a few stiles to climb.
- Some of the paths are narrow with stinging nettles so you might appreciate long trousers.
Walk 3 – along the canal to Barton Marina
There is a third option which would be to walk from Branston Water Park along the canal to Barton Marina. This is a walk of around 2.5 miles. This means you’d get to the restaurant first – plenty of time for an aperitif!
You could combine this walk with walk 1 making for a fairly level 4.5 mile walk.
- The canal path is not surfaced for the whole route. In some places it is quite a bumpy, grassy bank.
- There can be some road noise due to proximity of A38.