Here are our Top Tips for the last few days before Great Midlands Fun Run!
You have done the training and now your goal is to arrive at the start fresh and well-fuelled. There is little to gain by running more miles in the last few days so reduce mileage. Those going for a time may want a session of short, fast intervals. A regular runner should opt for an easy run. For others rest might be best!
Hydration and Nutrition
Fun Run is often hot so get well-hydrated. Start in the days before – aim for 1 litre of water per day and then sip water as you go along. Continue drinking water after the run and the next day. Remember that alcohol the night before will increase your dehydration so best avoided – sorry!
What you eat the week before will make a big difference. Have a healthy diet with sufficient carbohydrates- pasta, vegetables, rice etc. After the run ensure that you continue to drink to rehydrate, eat protein to repair those muscles.
- Get prepared the night before. Sort out your kit, safety pins, Vaseline. Work out how you are getting to the start. Remember road closures start at 10.15am.
- On the day have breakfast full of slow release carbs such as porridge with a banana. Fun Run starts late so you might need a snack such as a banana, glass of orange or raisin bread at 9.30-10am to keep you going.
- Arrive in good time for the start there is always a queue for the last-minute loo!
- Set off steady – you don’t want to burn all your energy on the first hill.
- Look out for SE Fitness Supporters as you start the long hill towards the Bistro!
- Cardiac Hill is not as steep on the left-hand side of the road.
- Smile and enjoy it. Especially that downhill finish!
- Don’t forget to stretch and then rest!
There’s always a great atmosphere in Sutton town centre afterwards so settle yourself in one of the pubs and enjoy it!