This Saturday will be our last long run in preparation for the Great Birmingham Run. Join us next week for a 55 minute taper run.
Only 2 weeks to go! I have handouts on preparing for race day – please take one.
By this stage I think we are too tired for new routes so I’ve kept it the same as last week with a 1 mile loop at the start. This way you have an 11.5 mile option which is still plenty of time on your feet. Route instructions below.
For Walk plus, Walk to Run, 5 to 5 and Run Fitness SE Fitness sessions as normal.
Week 6 – 12.5 Miles
The route is the same as Week 5 with a 1 mile loop at the start.
- Turn right along the cycle path towards Wyndley Baths. Turn right at the road and through the gate into Sutton Park
- Bear right and run along the road keeping right past the Visitor Centre and down the road to Town Gate.
- Run out of Town Gate to the island and turn right on Clifton Road. Run past Wyndley (1 mile) onto Somerville Road and to the traffic lights.
- At the traffic lights right onto Monmouth Drive.
- Run all the way along Monmouth Drive to Banners Gate at the end (3 miles).
- Turn right through the gate and into Sutton Park. Follow the road ahead past Longmoor Pool on your left to reach a cross roads at the top of the hill. (4 miles).
- Here turn left and run to the ice cream van / Jamboree Memorial.
- Take a sharp right here to run downhill (5 miles).
- Run past Keepers Pool on your left and continue to follow the road ahead.
- At the cross roads turn left and head downhill towards Town Gate. Before you reach Town Gate turn left at Totem Pole island (6 miles). Those wanting a shorter route cut back to Wyndley here.
- Run past the Toby Pub, through the gate and continue straight ahead to reach Blackroot Pool and the Bistro.
- Run past the Bistro on your right and at the T junction turn right. Look out for Hartopp Gate on your left (7 miles). You need to go left through the gate and then left up Hartopp Road.
- At the top of Hartopp Road reach Foar Oaks Road and turn left (8 miles). At the traffic lights take the first left onto Streetly Lane (following the park boundary). Run all the way to the roundabout at the bottom of Streetly Lane. (You will need to cross the road because the pavement is on the right hand side).
- At the roundabout (about 9 miles) take the first left. You are following the boundary of the park.
- Look out for Streetly Gate on your left. Re-enter Sutton Park here and follow the road ahead all the way back to the Jamboree Memorial / Ice cream van (11 miles).
- At the Jamboree Memorial the road forks. Take the right hand fork and run to the crossroads by a car park.
- Turn left down Spider Hill (12 miles). Near the bottom is a junction of many paths. Take the right fork.
- At the junction continue straight ahead across the little wooden bridge, through the gate and back to Wyndley along the cycle path.