Don’t leave it too late
It is always good to have a goal to aim for if you are trying to improve your level of fitness. For many of our readers the EDF Birmingham half marathon may well be that goal. However, I wonder how many have actually started training? It is now just 6 weeks away. Maybe you entered the event a few weeks ago thinking it was a long way off. Below are a few ways to get you back on track:
1) Get a MOT if you are new to running – check out your health.
2) Find a training programme (many available on the internet) – your long run is the most important – build it up gradually
3) Write down what you intend doing and when – commit to it. Record what you actually do.
4) Find a friend to train with or running group.
5) Check out the kit you intend running in – treat yourself to something new. Running shoes are the most important to help avoid injury.
6) Re fuel after training. Carbohydrates are your main fuel for energy.
7) Warm up and cool down before and after training sessions.
8) Check out how you are going to get to the start and home again. Be prepared – all your energy can then go into running the event.