We have enjoyed some glorious weather already this summer and long may it continue. Thought it might be worth a quick reminder of Summer running (and walking) tips especially for anyone planning to go out while on holiday.
- Hydration is key before, during and after the run. Drink plenty of water but also add some electrolytes to your drink if you have been sweating a lot!
- Use sunscreen and wear a hat to protect your face.
- Wear lightweight top and shorts.
- Carry your inhaler with you. The dust, pollen and general poor air quality has made this a very bad year for those suffering with Hayfever or Asthma.
- Try going out early in the morning or evening when it might be cooler.
- If you are running on holiday make sure you have an idea of where you are going and let someone know what time to expect you back. Check the area is safe and consider the temperature it can get hot very quickly! Consider putting in a session on the treadmill where at least it will be cool and safe.
- Leave the Garmin at home – run for pleasure and not for times!
I am a firm believer that everyone should take a week or two over the Summer to walk or run for the pure enjoyment of it! This is doubly true if you are somewhere new with beautiful scenery to admire. Even if you are planning big things in the Autumn training does not need to start until August so give yourself some time, let those injury niggles recover and just enjoy it!