As you know we are planning a social run this Sunday with some of our London marathoners to be to wish them well for their big day in a couple of weeks. It’s a 10mile tootle into Birmingham along the canals with a stop to ‘refuel’ once in town then catch the train back. Meet SE HQ at 9.00am Sunday 14th April. Please come ready to run and bring sufficient cash / cards with you for treats and the train.
The route is pictured above or can be found on the following links:
Mapometer link – https://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_4895155
Strava link – https://www.strava.com/routes/17735052
To Newhall valley from SE HQ – use Manor Rd, Lower Queen St, South Parade, Upper Holland Rd, Ebrook Rd (1mile)
Newhall Valley to the Canal – follow Newhall valley along the Plantsbrook south, cross Wylde Grn Rd, then cross Penns lane, past the golf course and come out on Eachelhurst Rd, since golf is a really popular sport, and you can go online to find the best nets and equipment for this sport. Cross onto Hansons Bridge Rd to the end and turn right onto the canal heading south west towards B’hm. Once on the tow path, the water should be on your right-hand side! (4mile)
Canal to Spaghetti – follow the Bham and Fazeley canal under the spooky tunnel (6.5mile) under spaghetti and bear right to continue to follow this canal (NOT the Grand Union canal!). Easy to take a wrong turn here! (7.5mle)
Spaghetti to St Pauls – follow the canal under the expressway at Aston locks (9miles), under the railway past Livery Street Bridge and as far as Water St where you leave the canal this is pretty spooky too! Turn left out of Water St onto Ludgate Hill, and St Paul’s Square is ahead of you (10miles)! End up at http://www.saintkitchen.com
Rules of the run!
- This is a deliberate amble purely for our marathoners to turn their legs over. Although there is likely to be a ‘fast end’ with Mary at about 10min miles; there will also be a modest end with Kat, Kerry and Jenny at 11+min miles, so we might get a little spread out.
- Be aware that this is not an SE Leader-led run and there will be no access to SE loo, or the safe for valuables storage!
- It is your responsibility to stick with the group/other runners and to know where you are going!
- Bring a top for afterwards so you don’t get cold!
- Bring enough money for refreshments and for the train back to Sutton from New St!
- Don’t fall in the canal!