I think the ‘Out and Back’ route to Streetly Gate is a good one especially at this time of year. It’s all on road so you are safely out of the mud and because it’s out and back the route finding is straightforward and you can just enjoy yourself! Go as far as you like, in time or in distance, and turn back when you need to. The route can be quite busy but that can be helpful if you’re out on your own. We introduced it a couple of years ago for our 5to10K programme and it was so popular we rolled it out to our other groups too.
For those of you who are minded to increase your mileage during this period then it works very well. With the 5to10K programme we tend to run to time rather than distance so the first time we do this route we run 20 mins out then turn around and head back so 40 mins total. Three weeks later we do 25 mins each way and three weeks after that 30 mins so an hour in total. If this is your first time at this distance don’t increase every week. You want to consolidate the distance for a week or two before increasing again.
What is neat about the route is there are key landmarks along the way to tell you how far you are getting, so:
- Out and Back as far as the Jamboree Memorial 4 miles
- Out and Back as far as the long car park (horse box car park) on the right hand side is 5 miles
- Out and Back as far as Streetly Gate is 6 miles
For anyone monitoring their pace or with a goal pace then this route can work well as a timed 6 mile or 10K distance (approximately).
Why not give it a try this weekend and let me know how you get on?
Out and Back Route Description
- Starting from SE Fitness HQ run past the athletics club, into Wyndley Gate and straight across the bridge.
- Continue ahead uphill taking the second left turn.
- This road bears round a steep downhill bend then take a right turn.
- Follow the road all the way to a gate across the road near Miller and Carter.
- Here turn right and head uphill, straight ahead at the cross roads at the top of the hill.
- Continue along the road until you reach the Jamboree Memorial (2 miles approx).
- Continue past the Jamboree Memorial and downhill passing a long car park on your right at approximately 2.5 miles.
- Continue along the road until you reach Streetly Gate (3 miles approx) turn back here!
- Retrace your route. Remember it’s left just before Miller and Carter, left fork shortly after and left again up that steep bend this time! Then right and downhill back to the ford.
There will be traffic on the road from Jamboree to Streetly Gate you should run on the right hand side of the road so that you are facing the oncoming traffic.