With another gorgeous, hot weekend planned perhaps you’d like to try out my version of the SE Fitness Shady Route. As you can see it takes in three pools because running or walking by water helps you to feel cool and plenty of shady wooded sections. Many of these paths also avoid the busier areas of the park especially if you head out fairly early like I do. This route is about 3.5 miles but you can add loops on easily enough. Maybe one to walk first with the family and then try running it when your more familiar! Perhaps I should warn you it is quite hilly! The reward for every hill effort is a lovely, long downhill canter through shaded woods.
- Starting from SE Fitness HQ head across the ford and turn left up the road.
- As you near the bend at the top of the hill take the sharp right (as we use on the 5K loop).
- Next junction turn left and follow until you reach path junction on Spider Hill.
- Head straight over and along Hangman’s Lane.
- T junction turn left towards Keepers Pool.
- At the pool turn right along the dam and then right again at the end of the dam. Taking you along a gravel path that crosses a small bridge ending on the road.
- Turn left as far as Blackroot pool then turn left along the dam.
- At the end of the dam jink right then turn left up (sorry) the steep hill.
- Near the top of the hill there’s a bench on the right take the path on the left opposite. Keep ahead on that wooded, downhill track ignoring right fork and cross roads to reach T junction.
- Turn right here which drops you back out at Keepers Pool.
- Go along the dam then you have three options: turn right like I did and then left at the big tree to tackle little glade hill, go straight over, turn left and go home past the donkey sanctuary.
- If you go up little glade like me take a very sharp left at the top back into the woods. Follow this path all the way down a lovely long hill to the bottom of Spider Hill.
- Return home along the road.
Remember your sunscreen and a drink and enjoy!