One of our walkers took a nasty tumble this week and has broken her arm. We wish her well for a swift recovery.
However it served to remind me that I can never send out the safety tips enough!
- Be present in the moment! Running or walking on the trails presents different challenges every time you go out. It might be mud or loose stones or tree roots. It might be dogs or cattle. Be aware and keep your eyes on the trail ahead. Don’t bunch up too close to others so that you can see where you are going.
- Wear the right gear – in particular make sure you have appropriate footwear. As it warms up a cap, sunscreen and insect repellent are important.
- Walking from light to shade is a particular hazard. The shadows can play tricks with you. Be especially careful if you wear varifocal or transitional glasses that go dark in the sunshine. Eyes take a while to adjust to changing light, glasses even longer.
- Make sure you have any medication you may need such as your inhaler (pollen season is coming so lookout). Carry your ICE details and any specific medical conditions you might want Emergency Services to be aware of eg allergies.
- Chat but keep it light – Being present in the moment means you can’t get too absorbed in a conversation. Keep the chat fairly light so that you can stay aware of your surroundings. Resolve Brexit another day!
Stay Safe SE Fitness xxx