A couple of weeks ago I described the benefit of keeping up with your hill training and today I’m trying to convince you to include the odd ‘Fun and Fast’ or Tempo session too …. more groans I’m sure! However, I have got some little prizes to give away and Helena and Ahmad who shared their hill sessions will be the first to get their hands on them!
The SE Fitness programme suggests a 10 minute out and back session eg a 20 minute run. Good reasons to try this one are:
- It’s easy to do alone or in pairs – literally set out from your house run for 10 minutes then turn around and run back!
- It works for the time poor.
- Tempo runs will improve your physical fitness and your mental running strength.
- It helps to develop your pace judgement.
- This type of Tempo running discourages flat out pace which can be associated with greater injury risk.
For those of you who like the science of training you’ll enjoy this RunBritain article which yesterday in very timely fashion!
For a successful Tempo session aim for maximum 20 minutes on a relatively flat route. The easiest way is run out for 10 minutes then turn around and run back. Try to get back to the start in around 10 minutes or just under. A tempo run should feel ‘comfortably hard’. On the chat test you should be able to say a couple of words but not more – if you’re chatting away to your 1-2-1 buddy that is not a tempo run! For those who use heart rate monitor your aiming for 80% of maximum heart rate.
Have a go and let me know how you get on. Little prizes are available to be won!