This picture of our muddy legs was taken after the 7 Pools Run in 2020. After the rain this week, I fear that, once again 7 Pools is going to be a mucky challenge! Here’s my top tips for getting round safely and enjoying it too.
- Adjust your mindset – It is worth thinking of 7 Pools as an event to be tackled rather than a race. The terrain and undulating course mean that it is a challenging route. You will find it harder than a road race, or our 10K to Streetly Gate and back. Approach with the mindset that you want to complete in one piece and as strongly as you can. This will stand you in good stead.
- Set off steady – The start is downhill across grass then up towards Miller and Carter. It is tempting, with the adrenaline flowing, to race off with the pack. Don’t spend all your money in the first two miles – you will regret it!
- Relax into it – There may be places where you have to walk – it is too muddy, the field bunches together – relax into it. Use this time to recover and be ready to go again when space allows.
- Be prepared – wear appropriate kit. Your new race day trainers will not serve you well! You want the already muddy ones you have been training in all winter.
- Be aware – although we practice the route, we don’t always practice all of it. The bit we miss out in training is tough going. Prepare your mind for this!
I hope you find these tips helpful. It is a lovely route, try to relax and enjoy it. You will feel great at the end!
Good Luck everyone!